Thursday 25 August 2016

Celebrations at home

The aroma of ghee had spread so far and wide that even before I entered home from school, I knew my mom had made something delicious that I couldn't resist asking!

"Amma, what did you make today?", I asked with an eager smile on my face. My mom was expecting the question. 

"I made something that you like, but first wash your hands and feet." Not ready to wait anymore, I quickly washed my hands, face, feet and came to the dining area. 

"Amma, now tell me, what did you make today?" Just then, my atha got me some tea and amma brought me a plate with yummy stuff. 

"Molu (as I am fondly called at home), atha made murukku. Mom always talks about what others did first. "I made ribbon pakoda, badhusha and mysore pak." She sounded little tired but very happy and satisfied. I sensed she must have had a real long day.

For every function at home, Mom always takes a day off prior to it and ensures that all arrangements are done properly. And to top it, she prepares the sweets and savories all by herself. And they were always delicious...slurrrp :) 

I always wondered as to why she spent so much of her time and energy in preparing all these snacks when we can buy it at the shop. What was the reason that in-spite of her busy schedule, she always tries to ensure that festivals are celebrated in full spirit! It took me few more years in life to understand the real reason behind it! 

The festivals that we celebrate at home are for family bonding and thanksgiving. It is also a time to remember and appreciate our inherited culture and values. Festivals bring in lot of joy and happiness. The preparations for any festival  starts much in advance and right from kids to adults everyone look forward to it. Every activity related to the preparations and our involvement in the same, brings in much more happiness which cannot be obtained by the act of purchasing from shop and eating at home. When cooking at home the entire family contributes to it, waits to taste the outcome, and give feedback. The mysore pak at the shop might be tastier than the one made at home, but the latter has all the love and care that someone puts in for you and it brings everyone together! 

Likewise when we do some pooja(prayers) at home, even the kids are excited to be part of it. Fasting until pooja teaches us many things, how to restrain ourselves from temptations, how to be self controlled, most importantly brings in lot of patience. It is not without any reason that our forefathers brought in many traditions and customs. The liberal intellectuals might find fault with many or even all of it. But finally all that matters is what brings happiness! In following the traditions, we also show our next generation the customs and rituals that we are associated with. 

When I took a bite of the sweet that my mom gave me, hmm...  delicious, it was hard on the outside, but yummy inside!! The perfect taste, the taste that I would never ever forget, for it was the hard work and love of my beloved mother.

Years passed by and now for this year's Krishna Jayanthi festival, as I am busy emulating my mom in preparing the food and pooja the way she does,  I hear a voice at the background, I turn and look. 

"Amma, what are you making today", my daughter asked me. My role has changed from a daughter to a mom and it is now my turn to give her what my mom had given me all these years!

2 comments:

  1. Wow deeps amazing. Your blog made me to rewind back some years. Too good keep rocking

    ReplyDelete
  2. gud one..every women will pass thru this phase

    ReplyDelete