Thursday 11 February 2016

Befriend and Unfriend -- A button away!

Few months back, just like any other day, I logged into Facebook while I was working on my laptop. I suddenly saw a  post of a  friend with a tag of a person A I knew very well. I was little curious to see the post as in the recent past I hadn't seen any post from person A. When I clicked on the profile of person A, I discovered that I was no longer a friend of  person A! Phew! What , how and why?? Off late I hadn't paid much attention to person A's post or update, but still wondered what have I done wrong to be unfriended!!! Why did person A unfriend me, do I really deserve a snub like this ? Did I hurt person A in any way? Or did I do that myself by clicking any wrong button? Too many questions arose and I couldn't refrain myself from logging into other social media sites like Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter etc. to check if person A was still connected to me.  I found it too embarrassing and my ego was hurt very much.  I had done this to too many , and little did I realize that they would have felt the same when I first accepted their request and then did the same unfriend.
Late realizations do happen and it then struck me that friends in Facebook are never real friends. Friends of friends become your friends just because you share something in common- a school, a college, a workplace, or even a family! The algorithm does it all for you and you just expand your network. A person who doesn't have even  5 real friends has a friend list of 500.  Posting and being active is again a social pressure. You wish your friends and like their updates. But when they don't reciprocate, you end up thinking why they didn't. Next, how many of us post a picture without any image editing work? how many of us post something in original? How many of us use it to showcase our sense of pride in achieving something? and how many of us just use it as tool to stay connected? Social media is just an illusion that shows us something that does not exist like a mirage. 100 likes for a photo or a status doesn't mean that you are awesome or what you did is extremely important for the mankind!, yet we post and expect the likes! We expect people to send us requests and then we decide whether to accept them as friends or not, we add some, reject some to boost our ego. I have seen people exiting groups , just to show to the world, that they are extremely important to the group and people must listen to them for them to be in the group.  It doesn't take much of a time to remove you from the same group, but people chose not to! 


2 comments: