Sunday 28 February 2016

No Introduction, never mind, a smile is what it takes !

Back again with another mind voice, yup, I always had this in mind, and what better way than writing it out in my blog, my online diary!
I am a shy person, trust me, I am one! I always wait for someone to acknowledge me in a crowd, to start a conversation. I am very bad in starting a conversation and very boring in carrying it forward. Holding my mom's hand and travelling to any place was fun. But moving out from the comfort zone of family and meeting new people is always tough, more so when you are an introvert. Years back, I happened to attend a family function first time without my parents.That was after a gap of nearly 3 or 4 years, that I was attending a function(10th, 12th you are not  supposed to attend any functions ) I was able to recognize few of our distant relatives, but they weren't able to recognize me. I tried smiling, but then I couldn't, I felt like saying hi and introducing myself, but then I couldn't do that. How I wished my mom was with me, to make me feel comfortable. All she needed to do was say this is my daughter, but now it is a very big task for me!  I waited for long for someone in the family to introduce me to those relatives, but then none did that! Finally an old lady who was watching me for a long time, asked me ' Are you ..? " I was very happy that she recognized me finally. I wanted to talk more.She asked me if my mom was there, when I said no, she just said 'oh' and seemed to show no interest in talking with a teen later! This was the beginning of many such functions that I had to attend without parents, and things only got worse from then. Many a times, had to meet all new faces, all new characters and strike a conversation.I always envied some of my friends and cousins who could do that with ease. Things started improving only when I changed my approach. Instead of entering the place and waiting for some known people, I started entering places with a huge close up smile. Most of the time, people when they see someone smiling at them, automatically reciprocate, and that worked for me! No introduction,  no close circle, doesn't matter as long as you know to smile even at a stranger! 

No comments:

Post a Comment